Sherwin Miller

Sherwin Miller(1927 – 1998)

A native of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Sherwin Miller was a man whose love for Judaism and family was foremost in this life. Full of curiosity, he learned to fly at the age of fourteen, obtained his ham radio license while still in high school and demonstrated an insatiable curiosity. He graduated from the University of Texas in Austin in 1949, was a civilian pilot during World War II for the Ferry Command of the U. S. Army, and served in the military during the Korean conflict.

After his military service, Sherwin returned to Tulsa and became an active member of B’nai Emunah Synagogue where his family were founding members. He developed a reputation for embracing all projects, whether Jewish or secular with great enthusiasm, clear headedness, objectivity and a refreshing sense of humor.

In 1968 Sherwin moved to Mexico City where he became a partner in an international brokerage firm, while maintaining his close ties with Tulsa and nurturing a dream of preserving Jewish history and culture in his native city.

In Mexico City, Sherwin became president of Beth Israel Community Center. After several terms as president, he was named a life member of the Board of Directors. The Sherwin Miller Memorial Library at the Beth Israel Community Center is named in his honor – a tribute to a man who had a sense of history and tackled all projects with great dedication.

In 1978, Sherwin married Katharine Penson, whom he met at Beth Israel while helping prepare a new prayer book, in three languages, for the congregation. That prayer book is still in use today.

Prior to his passing in December of 1998, Sherwin Miller was honored by the Board of Trustees of the Fenster Museum as an Honorary Trustee. He was most proud of this tribute and recognition, and expressed his wish for the Museum to grow from strength to strength.

Today, the Sherwin Miller Museum of Jewish Art, housed within the Fenster-Sanditen Cultural Center on the campus of the Tulsa Jewish Community Center, fulfills Sherwin’s dream for the preservation and display of the priceless collection he was instrumental in creating.